Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 4 - Coconut Macaroons


I have been doing Christmas baking since I can remember (except last year when we lived in a tiny apartment). This is the gift I give my family and friends...an assortment of homemade cookies, candy, preserves and snacks. I guess I'm "old-fashioned" in that I want to give something to them that is special...an expression of my love for them. Some of you probably think this is a LOT OF WORK, but for me, I can say in complete honesty that it is a pure JOY to spend time in the kitchen, concocting something wonderful to eat for those I care for.


Ok...on to the next "goodie". If you are a fan of Mounds bars, this one's for you. This has to be the EASIEST cookie ever! Six ingredients, no creaming the butter...in fact I don't even use a mixer...just my hands. The boys gave it a BIG "thumbs-up" last night and I will be dipping one half in melted semi-sweet chocolate yet (the night got away from me last night). The one thing that is different about this than other cookies is that you bake them longer in a cooler oven. That being said, they are truly worth the baking wait time.



Baker's One Bowl Coconut Macaroons (courtesy of Kraft foods website)


1pkg (14oz) Coconut

2/3 C sugar

6 TBSP flour

1/4 tsp salt

4 egg whites

1 tsp. almond extract


Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour baking sheets or do as I did, line your baking sheets with parchment paper (no need to grease or flour and you can use over).


Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl. Stir in egg whites and almond extract. Mix until well blended (I used my hands). Chill for 1-2 hours (makes it easier to work with)


Drop about 1 TBSP coconut mixture into mounds about 2 inches apart (these will NOT spread).


Bake 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately remove from baking sheet to wire racks (I slid the parchment paper off the cookie sheet onto the counter for cooling). Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week or keep cold (freeze or as I do, store outside) until you want to serve them.


Like I said, I like to melt chocolate (dark, semi-sweet or the like) and dip half in the chocolate once the cookies have cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment