Sunday, June 27, 2010

Old-fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies


It's another soggy day here in West Michigan. Seems like a good day to bake! I've been craving peanut butter cookies for weeks. The question is which recipe to use??? I surfed the web, combed through my cookbookds and decided on the "infamous" Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. I'm sure you would recognize it with it's red and white cover which reminds me of a summer tablecloth. I can't find a copyright date, but the pages are yellowed so I think it's fairly old.


I don't know how you like your cookies, but I prefer mine overdone. My family, on the other hand, likes them soft and chewy. I thought I would experiment with the baking time on my convection oven to see if I can find a happy medium.
Batch number one was baked at 10 minutes. Turned out soft and chewy.

Batch number two was baked for 13 minutes. Much more to my liking.



Recipe
Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2.5 Cups flour
1.5 Tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Cup butter or margarine (I ALWAYS bake with butter)
1 Cup peanut butter
1 Cup granulated sugar
1 Cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 Tsp. vanilla

Stir together flour, soda and salt. In a mixer bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds. Add peanut butter and sugars; beat until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture; beat until well combined. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Crisscross with the tines of a fork. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. Cool 1 minute before removing to a wire rack. Makes 80 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment